Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Lammily Doll

In November last year I read in the local papers (here) about a doll released for sale in the US. It's rare for a local paper to cover the release of a doll so of course I got interested. This is no ordinary doll. It is short, brunette with an average body type and can be given cellulite and acne. The doll designer based the proportions of his doll on the measurements published by the CDC. The production of the doll was funded via crowdfunding campaign. You can read all about The Lammily Doll at the doll website here.

Anyway, I thought about it. A doll that is not pretty, with realistic body proportions - so mind boggling. I went to the website to check out the cost of buying the doll. It costs USD25 which is about the selling price of a fashion Barbie in Singapore. (some Barbies cost less but these are less articulated) The shipping cost was not expensive either but I didn't make the purchase because I already have enough dolls. One night, I casually mentioned to hubs I had tried to buy The Lammily Doll but decided against it. He immediately went to the website to check out the doll and all. Again we decided not to buy it. A few days later, he changed his mind and bought it for me. He decided a doll this different was worth buying.

One day, a delivery from China arrived. I was quite puzzled that the China manufacturer declared the doll cost as USD50 instead of USD25. Fortunately, there is no GST (goods & services tax) even on a USD50 package. I was quite pleased with the box. It doesn't have a cheap look.

The Lammily Doll in person. In case you're wondering, the front pockets are pseudo pockets. You can't put anything in them as the pockets aren't closed. The back patch pockets do work.

Unfortunately my Lammily Doll doesn't stand very well unless I let her lean against something. Most of my dolls can't stand very well so that's not anything new.
 
The Lammily Doll is articulated in the neck, arms, wrists, thighs and feet. I'm very happy that the wrists and feet are articulated. I wish the knees were more flexible. I love her hair. It's waaaay better than Barbie's. So smooth and shiny.

Sitting seems to pose the most problems.

I started to realise the restrictions could be due to her denim shorts. It fits perfectly but when she sits, the front velcro splits open and her butt crack is exposed.

The Lammily Doll isn't meant to be anti-Barbie but an alternative body type fashion doll. Nevertheless, I have a curiosity to see the difference between both dolls. If you are used to a Barbie body type, you may think The Lammily Doll look a little Fiona-ogre(ish). Okay, maybe it's just me. But I soon got used to her "average body type" and then started to notice how ridiculously unrealistic Barbie's waist and breasts are. (so high and perky)

I should have paid more attention. Introducing a new doll to my family is never an easy affair. Apparently while I was adjusting my camera setting, Barbie stole Lammily's denim shirt. She says she looks better in it. Poor Lammily had to wear someone else's tank top and a granny panty.

Crap. The hair pulling begins. She's no pushover, this one.


OMG. Doll fight. Fists flew. Ankles kicked. A few joints were dislocated...

It's Time-Out for these two dolls. Look how pissed Lammily is. Melly has kindly lent her dress to Lammily. It is of course too big...

I started to feel a little sorry for Lammily. So I let her try Barbie's crochet hat. It fits! Well, maybe a little loose but it's a hat so it's okay.

I let Lammily try Barbie's clothes. Unfortunately none fit her due to her realistic body proportion. This blue gown is the only one that she could squeeze into. But the back doesn't close properly and if she needs to pee, she has to take off the whole gown. (just look at her face)

Finally I remembered I have a set of Ken outfit. Yay, Lammily can get into the jacket. But the pants are too small.

To compensate Lammily for her loss of her denim shirt to Barbie, I crochet her a big ball to play with. It's a heavy ball as I have stuffed it with scrap fabric.

I made sure Lammily's ball is much bigger than Barbie's.

Oh, Lammily gets Barbie's pink convertible too. That is, until the denim shirt is returned.

statistics provided by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/lammily-average-beautiful-doll-goes-sale-us#sthash.napuo1ZL.dpuf
statistics provided by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/lammily-average-beautiful-doll-goes-sale-us#sthash.napuo1ZL.dpuf

To make the crochet ball (US):
R1: 2 ch, make 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook - 6 sts
Mark last stitch with safety pin because this is a spiral and you want to know where your round ends.
R2: Make 2 sc in each st around - 12 sts
R3: (Make sc in next st, 2 sc in next st) around -18 sts
R4: (Make sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st) around - 24 sts
R5: (Make sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st) around - 30 sts
R6-R10: Make 1 sc in each st around - 30 sts
R11: Make sc in next 3 st, sc2tog) around - 24 sts
R12: Make sc in next 2 st, sc2tog) around - 18 sts (you can stuff ball here)
R13: Make sc in next st, sc2tog) around - 12 sts
R14: sc2tog around one or 2 round until hole closes.
Fasten off and weave ends of thread into crochet work.
(let me know if you spot any errors)

Linked: Sew Many Ways

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I like how Lammily and Barbie got into a doll fight, haha! :) I'm a pretty big Lammily fan. I'm glad you're enjoying her :)

Chris H said...

I saw that doll advertised too.. but didn't get one. Kinda wish I had now, you are having so much fun with her. You should make her some amazing new outfits, better than Barbie's of course! Love your little show.

Sandra :) said...

I agree with Chris - Lammily needs some stylin duds - better than Barbie's!

The shape difference between the two is startling, isn't it? Sad, too. It would be nice if designers could think just a little bit before they put pen to paper ...

Tammy said...

Glad you're having fun with these! What a great husband to get you the doll, too.
I have Barbies around here somewhere - I had the idea that I was going to make clothes for them, so bought a new one & hid away a few my girls weren't playing with anymore. ... one day I guess I'll make the time to do it & then maybe I can play with my dolls, too!

Jane said...

omg that doll fight cracked me up!

Al said...

I love it! But they wont make it any more. I wanted it.... How would be the 19's new Lammily?

Projects By Jane said...

Hi Al, I hope the new Lammily will have better articulation. It is a very sturdy doll and I hope that doesn't change. I also won't mind if we get the doll bald and use wigs instead.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2