Tuesday, April 14, 2015

If you drink...



Folks,

Hands up those of you who drink. And how much do you drink?

One glass a day? Okay.
Two? Hmmm.
Three? Really....

Okay, I'm just messing with you. I'm not the alcohol police and this is not an intervention. I thought you guys might be interested in this new The Liquor Control (Supply and Consumption) Act which kicked in from 1st April.

Under The Liqour Control Act, these are not allowed:
• No drinking in public places between 10.30pm and 7am.
• Retail shops have to stop selling alcohol after 10.30pm. Also no takeaway from drinking places after 10.30pm.

• 2 areas, Little India and Geylang designated Liquor Control Zone face stricter control.
Drinking alcobol public spaces is banned in these zones from 7am on Saturdays to 7am on Mondays, as well as from 7pm on the eve of a public holiday to 7am on the day after the holiday.

A first-time offence for illegal drinking will carry a fine of up to $1,000, while repeat offenders could be fined a maximum of $2,000 and may face a jail term of up to three months. Shops selling alcohol beyond the permitted hours may face a fine of up to $10,000. Penalty for offences commited in the Liquor Control Zone are significantly higher - 1.5X more.

How do I feel about this Bill taking effect? I'm all for it. But then again, I do not drink. Neither does hubs. So we are not curbed in any way. Imagine having to remember the restrited hours and know if you are in a Liquor Control Zone. My choice of poison is tea and so is hub's. Now if drinking/purchase of tea is restricted, that would be a different matter...... I would start a (online) protest.

2 comments:

pennydog said...

I do drink but this makes sense to me. In the UK it's illegal to drink outside in most places anyway (except pub gardens). We do have 24 hour licenses to sell in some bars though.

Sandra :) said...

I don't drink (well, maybe one drink every 2 or 3 years) but hubby and oldest son do (I don't really think the younger one drinks much at all). Here in Ontario people can drink in licensed establishments and in their own homes - I don't see a need for drinking in the general public. I think it's against the law here to drink in public (outside of a licensed establishment) - and I believe the sale of liquor is prohibited after 1:00 a.m. in the bars. Liquor and beer here are sold in beer stores, liquor stores and wine is sold in licensed kiosks in a few grocery stores. My husband loves going to the States - he can pick up beer at Walmart (we can't do that here) :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2