Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Korean Fried Chicken Existential Crisis

When I was younger, I never went through any existential crisis. Perhaps because I've never had perfectly good digestive health and struggled most of my life to be well, I was grateful to be alive. The last one and a half years or so, my life changed dramatically because suddenly I became so well I could eat anything I wanted.

Unfortunately all that came to a crashing halt last month. My digestive health is a big mess again. So I'm back to cutting out rice as well as oily food. I think most people do not suffer any effects from eating rice. I guess I'm in the minority.

It is one thing to cut out rice totally but oily food - that's hard. I mean how oily is oily? Does that mean I can't eat Korean Fried Chicken anymore? Well, I had two pieces of 4 Fingers (it's sort of Korean fried chicken, isn't it?) and had a huge fight with my stomach. Stomach won. Acid reflux declared victory.

I haven't dared to eat any Korean Fried Chicken or any fried chicken since then. Not even grilled chicken. And feeling miserable. Why not eat steamed chicken? Sadly, I'm not a steamed chicken kind of gal. Anyway, I'm so tired of eating fish. And tuna. And sardines. I've grown so attached to having Korean Fried Chicken now and then it's so hard. Like, what's the point of life... without Korean Fried Chicken? Is there documentation of people who have survived without Korean Fried Chicken? How did they do it? How miserable were they?

I told myself there are many people in this world who are suffering in worse ways than me. I should be grateful I can still eat. Nope. Nothing. Still miserable. Still. Pining. For. My. Korean. Fried. Chicken. 

Oh, if you think cutting out rice just means cutting out rice, so wrong. It seems, in Chinese cuisine, there's a lot of food containing rice flour which I enjoy rather frequently. I mean if I'm cutting out rice, I have to cut out ALL food containing rice.

The following delicious food contains rice which I will not eat again for a very long time.

My beloved radish cake.


Kway Teow (stir fried rice cake strips)

 Mui fan. (larger version of kway teow)

Chee Cheong Fun (steamed rice rolls)

Vietnamese noodles

 Congee
Duck porridge

Hokkien mee


Bee Hoon

Fried carrot cake

Yam cake

Soon Kueh

Chwee Kueh

Chinese Rice Dumpling

Mochi

Sticky rice cake

1 comments:

Kate said...

You might have to eat boring British food before long. Boiled potatoes, steamed fish and overcooked peas!
Try to keep your sense of humour. I know it is hard.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2