Friday, March 27, 2009

Fully Lined Front Zippered Pouch Tutorial

As promised this is my fully lined Front Zippered Pouch Tutorial. It is easy enough even for a first-timer. I have designed the tutorial in such a way that if you like, you can opt for two contrasting fabric for the front.

As for me, I wanted to use the fabric that I used for my Chinese New Year bag because it is so fabulous. I'm not using any contrasting fabric but for you, the option is there.

Front view


Back view


Materials

1. Cut the following.
Outer
Front top 8 1/2" by 2"
Front bottom 8 1/2" by 5 1/2"
Back 8 1/2" by 7 1/2"
Strap 13 1/2" by 2"

Lining
Front top 8 1/2" by 2"
Front bottom 8 1/2" by 5 1/2"
Back 8 1/2" by 7 1/2"

Zipper - anything from 8 1/2". No metal teeth! We gonna sew over it.
I used a 14" zipper. The excess will be cut off.

Note: Just to be clear. When sewing the zipper to the OUTER or LINING, sew from end to end.

2. Assemble the following sandwich:
Lining front top facing up
Zipper facing up
Match long side


Sew zipper to lining(1/4" seam). Avoid sewing too close to the zipper.


This is what you should get.

3. Assemble the following sandwich:
Lining front bottom facing up
zipper facing up
Match long side


Sew zipper to the lining (1/4" seam). Avoid sewing too close to the zipper.


This is what you should get.

4. Assemble the following:

Zipper facing up
Outer front top facing down


Sew outer front top to the zipper from the LINING side. This is so you have the sewn seam to guide you. Sew just a little to the left of the sewn seam to hide it when you look at the zipper right side up.


This is what you should get. See how you can't see any seams made by the lining?

5.Assemble the following:

Zipper facing up
Outer front bottom facing down

Sew outer front bottom to the zipper. Similar to step 4, sew from the lining side and sew a little to the left of the sewn seam.


This is what you should get.

6. Press fabric.

Top stitch the edges next to the zipper.

7. Assemble the following:

Lining Back facing up
Zipper facing up (zipper pull on the left)
Outer Back facing down


Sew across the TOP of the pouch through ALL THE LAYERS. Be careful your layers do not shift. I used a 3/8" seam.


This is what you should get.

8. Flip the sandwich around until you have the outer on one side and the linng on the other side. A little explanation here. I have determined that the escape route to turn the pouch right side out is through the BOTTOM of the lining. As such, you can't sew the bottoms of the outer and lining together. That would seal our escape route.

What we will do here is to sew the bottom of the lining and outer SEPARATELY.


With right sides together, sew across the bottom of the OUTER.

9.

With right sides together, sew across the bottom of the LINING. Be sure to leave a GAP large enough to turn right side out.


This is what you should get. Separate seams for bottom and lining and gap in lining.
Now is also a good time to make sure your pouch is even (outer and lining should match in size). Trim if necesary.

10. Fold the strap in half along the long side.
Fold 1/4" seam along the 2 long sides. Press.


Topstitch across both long edges.

11. Fun part. Turn pouch right side out. Cut off excess zipper so it aligns with the sides.

12.

Fold strap in half. With pouch right side out, align raw edge of strap with left side of pouch.


Sew strap to front layers only. See picture for better understanding.

13.

Flip around until you have the above position. See picture.
IMPORTANT: Be sure the zipper is OPEN.


Sew across the side seam through ALL THE LAYERS. I used a 3/8" seam. Start with the side which has the zipper ends open. Be sure to hold the zipper ends closed so you will have a nice finish. Reinforce the areas over the strap and zipper.

Do the same for the other side seam.


This is what you should get.

14. Trim edges. Turn right side out through the gap in lining. Hand sew the gap and you're all set!


Front

Back

Lining front

Lining back

No gaps!

As always, please let me know if you spot any errors! Thanks. I hope you have fun making fabulous front zippered pouches.

* * *
Below are my bag patterns which are available for sale at Etsy (instant download). Clicking on the images will take you to my Etsy shop.


hand sanitizer holder pattern












https://www.etsy.com/listing/256640564/mini-carryall-pdf-easy-sewing-pattern?ref=shop_home_active_2

https://www.etsy.com/listing/204278646/janes-little-boxy-bag-pdf-pattern?ref=shop_home_active_5







https://www.etsy.com/listing/167120688/easy-bow-tie-clutch-or-wristlet-instant?ref=shop_home_active




For more Applique Resources
For more Tutorials

25 comments:

Holly Knott said...

Hi! I have been wracking my brain for days trying to figure out how a pouch like this could be lined with no exposed raw edges on the inside. Thank you soooo much for figuring it out and for posting your tutorial - can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I'm going to go make one now!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. Very clear and great pictures

jane p said...

Hey Holly and Lucianap! Hope you'll let me have a peek - when you're done with the pouch.
Cheers, Jane

~ #TinieFabulous ~ said...

nice!!! thanks 4 the tips !!!

Pink Zipper said...

Hi I'm with Holly. I have been driving myself crazy trying to get me head around a little purse with no exposed seams. This is brilliant! Thank you so much. I've made and it worked!!! Yay!!

Cristina said...

This tutorial is great, thanks Jane for sharing.

Peggy said...

Thanks for the Tutorial, I have made one and posted it on my blog. A nice little pouch.

Mandy said...

You gave this pouch to 'butter trade' and I barter my hairband for it. Then Shannon took the hairband but what she barter, I don't know.

jane p said...

Mandy, I actually forgot I had "butter trade" this pouch! Hmm, let's ask Shannon what she buttered! You know what, we 2 "buttered" first hand goods. Pretty good deal for the others, don't you think?

Sandra :) said...

You are a brilliant lady, oh Jane of Singapore - I made my first zipper bag tonight using your technique :) I forgot to sew the tab on mine but I did post a picture on my blog today and linked back to you - I'll be making many more of these little beauties! Thank you for figuring this out for the rest of us!

Mokcarthy said...

Is picture 13 the right one? Can you also do it with one piece of fabric for lining and one for outside? Like this http://www.nicolemdesign.com.au/tips/index.html#pyramid
I ask because I tried a variation on her instructions, and got kind of lost and after some unpicking and neat slipstitching of both lining and outer my purse ended up like yours, but I have never worked out if it can be done on purpose.
I love how you say "I dedicate my sewing life to make bags which hide these raw seams."
By doing these tutorials, you multiply the effect - more bags, fewer exposed seams, Hooray!

Ru said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I just made one lined pouch and it looks great.

CindyD said...

What are the finished dimensions? I want to make one to hold clean cloth wipes in so they aren't just floating around my bag anymore. Just wanted to know the final size so I will know if I should make any "adjustments". Thank Cindy

jane p said...

@CindyD,
Subtract your seam allowance from the measurement of the Back 8 1/2" by 7 1/2" and you'll get the finished dimensions.

Emily said...

I made two of these today! I changed the size on one and made it a pencil case. So easy and SO much fun! I could make them all day! Thanks for sharing!

Beth said...

Awesome tutorial! I found you through various links on other blogs and I just wanted to let you know that I have now also linked to you in a post as an alternative (meaning better!) way to finish some front-zip shoulder bags.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just came across this blog a few days ago. I even put a little pocket inside to hold an id. Thanks for putting up such great directions. Now I have a little gift to bring to my mom when I see her! ~Carrie

Solstitches said...

I've been meaning to try out this tutorial for a long time and now that I did I have to say it's pure genius.
I paid about $10 for a similar pattern that uses binding on the lining and is nowhere near as good.
Your way is perfection.
Thank you!
Margaret

Unknown said...

I just finished making this but I did use different measurements because I wanted the zipper in the middle. Turned out great!

Heather said...

thank you for your inspiration, and tutorials, have you ever thought of doing step by step video tutorials?

Heather

Projects By Jane said...

Hi Heather,

I have no plans to do any videos. I personally don't like watching DIY videos. They put me to sleep. Hahahaha.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this! I have been trying to figure this out for weeks now so that seams do not how on the inside when the zipper is in the front. Hurrah!

Lisa said...

Wish someone would do a video as I am a visual learner. But thats for figuring thus out I've been tryin for while.

Toby said...

Hi Jane ..... I see this is written, however in the enlarged diagram it shows the zipper is facing down?

Lining front top facing up
Zipper facing up
Match long side

Projects By Jane said...

Hi Toby,
the written instructions are correct. Zipper is facing up.
If the image shows the zipper facing down, I apologize. It could be an illusion(?) or an error but I wrote the tutorial a long time ago so I can't say for sure. The zipper I used also looks almost the same front and back.

Jane

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2