Monday, September 3, 2018

What August Made

Dear friends,

August was long, wasn't it? It was hot. I was lazy. Apart from slogging away at my patterns, I barely did anything.





Total makes: One panties, one crochet rope bracelet, one miniature rope basket and one friendship bracelet.

I lost my motivation to exercise. The heat drained me. It was my excuse not to exercise. I did try for a while. I even joined a group where I live. It's free and there's an instructor. Then I hurt my arm and it gave me an excuse to stop going. But I did keep up with my swimming. I probably gained weight. I shan't weigh myself until I get back in shape. I'm so good at delaying disappointment.

September is getting cooler so I'm going to force myself to at least go for walks and work on my upper body at home. I've discovered I enjoy wearing sleeveless clothes after avoiding them for decades so I need to get my arms toned. That's my motivation. Er, is it necessary to shave the armpits to wear sleeveless clothes?

Food wise I've managed to continue with my rice-less diet. I'm sick of noodles though. I'm not managing well to be honest. Some days I eat poorly - just an egg sandwich for dinner. Of course I get hungry and I end up snacking. And I'm drinking way too much tea.

Oh remember I decided not to cover my grey hair anymore since May? I've been going strong for 4 months and managed to suppress the desire to run to my hair stylist to darken my roots. This month though I really really wanted to surrender. I don't know if it's my imagination or what but lately I've noticed I'm being treated poorly. Not by people I know but total strangers. For instance, I get shoved more. Not the accidental kind but get pushed out of the way kind. This has happened a few times, in the train and on sidewalks. Then last week, I was at the money changer and the lady at the counter shouted at me. She was unhappy with me for not informing her in advance that I had more than one currency to change. I don't think any stranger has shouted at me before and remember that I am a customer. I was horribly embarrassed and ordinarily I would take my business elsewhere but I was too flustered and the cashier was already processing the payment so I kept quiet. The experience left me very angry.

Anyway, I've been thinking about it and I could be wrong but I think it's my grey hair. Having grey hair makes me an easy target. I've been noticing that most women cover their grey hair. I've only managed to see natural grey hair in very old people. Perhaps there's a good reason why. If any more strangers shout at me I'm getting my hair darkened again.

I have a few projects lined up in September. Firstly publish 2 new bag patterns. I've spent soulless days and nights working on them and I'm so over them already. Next, I'm going to finish my lace scarf or I swear I'll throw it into the Singapore river. I have a bead pendant which I started a few years ago and I feel it's time I finish it. I have a dress pattern I really want to try out. It's a tissue pattern so it's horribly wrinkled... There's also another crochet rope bracelet in the works. I've already drawn up the charts. All I need is a nice cold day and I'll start stringing the beads. I found a piece of unfinished patchwork from the good old days and I want to make it into something for my daughter. She did ask for a pouch large enough for her mid size tissue packets. These should be enough to keep me busy. See you around.

1 comments:

Kate said...

You can iron your tissue pattern with a cool iron. Our high school sewing teacher used to make us do that with all our patterns.
Hot, humid days really make even moving difficult, don't they. Hope it cools for you, soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2