Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Bead Crochet Bug

It's 25 deg C right now and it's late afternoon in Singapore. Shocking right? Usually it's 30 deg C. The weathermen forecast a low of 22 deg C in the first 2 weeks of December. So I have been checking the temperature daily. But I was disappointed that the low temperature mostly hovered between 24 deg C and 26 deg C. Where's the cold weather we were promised? Then hubs told me he woke up early this morning and he saw that the temperature was 22 deg C. Demmit, I slept through the coldness.

Anyway...

Taking out my beads supplies was a mistake. I ended up making 5 bead crochet bracelets. You see, I have a lot of beads. Not just the ones I bought but I have someone else's beads as well. A long time ago, Tiba gave me her beads. Lots of beads. Every time I look at the beads, I feel guilty leaving them to live most of their lives in my drawer.

I've made 2 of these bead crochet bracelets before (here). I wear them from time to time.

Tiba had given me a lot of green beads. They are made of glass and rather big. I thought they'll go well with my disco gold yarn which is another thing I need to use up. This technique is called Turkish Flat Bead Crochet. It is very easy and doesn't require much crochet skill. This video explains it quite well.

After making one bracelet, I got hooked and spent the whole night beading up a storm.
I found some red beads, definitely Tiba's and I paired them with my disco black yarn. Never buy black yarn. You'll go blind using them.

I have a ton of cheap plastic pearls. Why did I buy them? I thought pairing them with white Miyuki crochet thread would work great but the combination looks quite ugly.

I tried again with the plastic pearls this time pairing with Lizbeth size 10 thread and the colour is like rich pink. Strangely I like this combo.

I've discovered I have tacky taste.

These are Tiba's beads. I don't know what they are called but they are made of glass and there's a different colour inside the glass. I used Lizbeth size 10 seagreen thread. I have to say I love this combination.


Will I look crazy wearing all 5 bracelets?

I've run out of toggles and closures. Time to go to Chinatown!

1 comments:

Kate said...

You seem to be having lots of fun. Little projects like that are a good way to try colour combinations, and take big risks. You might find you really like something that seems weird at first glance.
I have knit with beads, and the results are usually worth the effort.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2