Thursday, August 9, 2018

Red And White Hearts Friendship Bracelet

Today is Singapore's National Day - our 53rd year of independence.

I did not mark the day by waking up early in the morning to go for an organised run which is what hubs did.

I won't be watching the National Day parade live at Marina Bay but maybe live on TV - we now have TV reception again thanks to the free DTV starter kit provided by IMDA.

The volunteers in the area where I live created a flag of Singapore made of used shuttlecocks! I was very impressed by their creativity and hard work.

I thought I'll do something crafty too. I used the colours of Singapore flag - red and white to make a friendship braid. Btw, the colour red symbolises "universal brotherhood and equality of man", and white, "pervading and everlasting purity and virtue. 

I made it a bit too short but it's still wearable. I used DMC No. 25 embroidery floss. I think perle cotton thread would have been better.

I made a loop for closure. Somewhere near the middle of the thread, I make a simple 3 strand braid.


When I have enough to make a loop, I made a knot.

I hook the loop up and start with my half hitch knots. My starting position is red, white, red, white. The half hitch knots you make for this friendship bracelet reminds me of tatting knots. If you want to give this bracelet a go, you can check out this tute. This heart bracelet is not as easy as it looks. If you aren't familiar with knot making, you'll probably go a bit insane during the process. I suggest you try a less challenging chevron bracelet first.

Once you have made enough hearts to cover the top of your wrist, you can divide up the strands and make 2 separate braids. These you will use to tie the bracelet via the loop.

Happy National Day Singapore.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2