Sunday, November 24, 2019

Cami Cami Cami

Dear 3 persons who still read my posts,

In my last post, I shared that I intend to make something to wear out of a fabric I don't love. Someone left this comment:
that fabric you hate, but are making something to wear out of? Don't.
I don't know who left that comment as he/she forgot to leave a name. As you can tell from the first image, I did go ahead to make a cami out of the fabric I didn't love. Just to be clear, I did not ignore the advice given by Anonymous. You see, I get a lot of anonymous comments on my blog posts and they're usually gibberish left by spammers. So I don't read them. Blogger goes through them on my behalf and only publishes the ones it considers non-spam. So by the time I saw the comment, I had already cut and sewn the whole thing.

And just to be clear. I don't hate the fabric. I just don't love it.


I only had 1 yard of the fabric so I googled for something to make and I found Melly Sews camisole tutorial. There's a free pattern (Melissa's size) and a video. To get the pattern, you need to get the password from her newsletter... Anyhoos, I congratulated myself on being very close to Melissa's size so I could use her free pattern. (my boobs are much smaller) It's a very simple pattern. If I were to draft my own camisole, I would lazily draw a horizontal line across the chest. But Melissa's version has a little v-neck. And you have to use bias binding. I don't know if you know this but bias binding and I aren't exactly on speaking terms. 


I used bias binding (1/2") to do the v-neck. It's a little tricky to do the little dip. (watch the video) I cut my binding at a 60 deg angle. For the binding that goes over my shoulder, I cut binding on the crosswise grain because I don't have enough fabric for a 45 degree nonsense and I don't fancy doing multiple joins. I did not do an adjustable strap either because I don't have the hardware so mine's a fixed length strap. I have to say I totally dislike doing binding because after you have done the final fold you need to machine sew the folds together and no matter how good your sewing skills, you can't get it perfect.


This is the back which has an elastic running across.

I did a good job on the inside - serged everywhere. There's a small amount of fabric left and that will go into the scrap bin. I congratulate myself on using almost 1 yard of my fabric stash.

I used my iphone self timer to take a few hundred pics of me in my camisole.



Can anyone see a defect in my shoulder blade?





So what do I think? The camisole fits me very well. The only thing that bothers me is the strap. See the last pic. One strap tends to fall off. I think an elastic strap is a better option but I didn't think of it earlier. Will I wear it? Yes, but only at home. I don't like to reveal too much of my body when I go out. Will I make another one? I'm not saying no but if I make another one, it has to be in a knit fabric. I don't know why but when I think of camisole, I can't imagine it in a woven fabric.

What do you think? Yay or nay?

3 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Turned out well! Big difference between fabric you hate and fabric you just don’t love.

Projects By Jane said...

Thanks Jane. Yup, you get me.

Kate said...

You may just need to attach the shoulder straps a little closer to the centre at the back.
I think it looks great, and around here you would be comfortable wearing it in public. Of course, we wear sweaters over ours, because it's cold.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2