Monday, June 4, 2018

Quinoa I Love You Not

Since I had to stop eating rice early this year, I've been relying on bread and wheat noodles for carbs. I love bread but I don't love wheat noodles. I love rice noodles though but I can't think about them anymore. I know what you're going to say. Why not potatoes? Well, I'm more of a sweet potato kind of gal. I'm okay with eating potatoes now and then but not more than once a week. So I had to turn to quinoa.

Do you remember in school there's always that one student who's brilliant and fantastic in every way and you want to be good friends with her because she's brilliant and fantastic in every way. But... you're just okaaay with her and at best you're an acquaintance but you'll never be besties.

Quinoa is that student. Brilliant and fantastic in every way. (it is a superfood) But I don't love it the way I love my rice noodles.

I eat quinoa because some days I'm sick of wheat noodles and bread. And I crave something that is rice-like. Quinoa is my rice substitute.

I don't know how to describe the taste of quinoa. There is a distinctive taste but it's not one that makes you go yum. Neither is it horrible. Very middle of the road.

I cook 1 cup's worth each time and store whatever I cannot eat in the fridge. It keeps quite well. I simmer it in 1.25 cup's water for 15min and exactly after 15min, all the water is gone and the quinoa is perfect. When I first started eating quinoa a couple of years ago, I watched this video on how to cook quinoa and it really works.

Quinoa is very good for my stomach. When I eat it, I never feel bloated.

This is my quinoa lunch, cooked fried rice style. This is how I usually eat it.

I'm not particular about the brand of quinoa. This current packet is ridiculously expensive but I bought it because it was on sale. I've tried different kinds of quinoa except the red ones. I might try them one day. Maybe they'll taste like rice?

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2