Tuesday, November 23, 2010

This Is How I Sew My Zip Pouch

From time to time, readers email me to ask for a link to how I sew my zip pouch. I can't give a link because I don't know if there's a zip pouch tute out in the net that does it the way I do. Believe me when I say there are lots and lots of zip pouch tutorial available. I just googled zip pouch tutorial and I had a 37,200 results. Of course it doesn't mean there are actually 37,200 zip pouch tutorials but you get the idea.

So, no. I'm not going to write a zip pouch tutorial. Instead I'll just show you just the portions which I do differently.
The top of the zipper
When sewing the top of the zipper to the fabric, I turn the ends in at roughly 90 deg a short distance away from the end of the fabric. How much space you leave between the end of the zipper and the end of the fabric depends on your seam allowance. I also throw in 1/8" for ease.
End of zipper
For the end of the zipper, I just sew all the way to the end.
This is what the zip pouch looks like before the side seams are sewn.

When sewing the side seams where the top of the zipper is, you need to make sure the seams of the outer fabric and lining MATCH UP.
When sewing the side seams where the bottom of the zipper is, you should avoid catching the zipper ends.

Yep, that's it. That's my secret ingredient.
Good luck

* * *
Below are my bag patterns which are available for sale at Etsy (instant download). Clicking on the images will take you to my Etsy shop.


hand sanitizer holder pattern












https://www.etsy.com/listing/256640564/mini-carryall-pdf-easy-sewing-pattern?ref=shop_home_active_2

https://www.etsy.com/listing/204278646/janes-little-boxy-bag-pdf-pattern?ref=shop_home_active_5







https://www.etsy.com/listing/167120688/easy-bow-tie-clutch-or-wristlet-instant?ref=shop_home_active




For more Applique Resources
For more Tutorials

5 comments:

Cassie said...

i was running out of zippers trying to figure this out! i was close! thanks for filling in the gaps for me! i can't stand bulk at the end of zippers. problem solved :D

Marci Girl said...

I've never seen this method before, but yes, it is much better than Amy Butler's!

Anonymous said...

I don't understand this. I can't see enough from the pictures and you don't say much. How much of the zipper is turned under? Does the zipper stopper end up underneath. Do you catch any of the zip tape when you sew them both together. Which direction is the zip folded in? Unfortunately angles don't make much sense to me.

Does your wristlet pattern in your shop use this method and explain it fully? It seems to have a zip cover on one end.

Sara

Projects By Jane said...

Sara,

My Sexy Zipper wristlet pattern uses the same method for the front of the zipper but at the zipper end, I use a fabric tab. So buying the pattern won't help you at all. Why do I use a fabric tab in my bag pattern but not in this post? The fabric tab method is easier for beginners. Also, the method I use in this post is not easy to understand.

To answer your questions:
-zipper is sewn 1/4" allowance
-zipper stopper does not end up underneath
-i try very hard not to sew over the zipper tails
- at the tail end, the zipper is folded in 2 directions - the teeth towards the exterior fabric while the zipper tape beside the teeth fold towards the lining

I'm sorry this is the best explanation I can come up with. And I don't plan to write any clearer tutes on this method. It is far too difficult for most people to handle.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me :)
Sara

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2