Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Knitting - Holding Yarn With Your Toes, Continental Style

Jane McLellan was curious how I hold yarn with my toes when I knit so I had my daughter take a few pics.

This is how I thread the yarn over my toes. I can use either legs. Usually I sit with one leg crossed over the other. The leg above controls the yarn. Actually the toes don't have do anything. Just let the yarn glide over. But I noticed sometimes the toes curl a little instinctively. I have pretty dry feet and worry about causing irritation to them. I'm thinking of getting toe socks.

This is a knit. The key is to use my left index finger to position the yarn so that I can hook the yarn with my right needle.

This is a purl. Again my left index finger plays a key role.

When I need to stretch my leg, I just rest it on a table and the knitting goes on.

The tension is slightly tighter when I hold the yarn with my toes so this is how I end up with mixed tension because sometimes I hold yarn with my fingers like a normal human being.

I'm curious if other knitters hold yarn with their toes like me. Ha ha. Obviously I can't do this in public.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

I have never in my life heard of anyone doing this, but hey, if it works....

Kate said...

Everyone has to figure out what method of tensioning the yarn works best for them. If this works for you, then great.

Chris H said...

OMGosh! I have NEVER EVER seen someone do that with the wool before! Totally weird, but if it works for you.. keep doing it! lol

Jane McLellan said...

Oh wow, thanks for the photos. I’ve never seen anyone hold their yarn like that, but I see the logic. I have used my feet to hold a skein as I wound it into a ball, but that’s simpler.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2