Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Spaghetti Pumpkin

Sometime this year, I made pumpkin soup from scratch. It was my first attempt. I followed a recipe and it was a lot of work. My kids tried to drink it. Finally they said, NEVER make this again. My kids rarely make such a request so it must be bad. In the end, no one could drink the soup.

A few days ago, I wanted to buy pumpkin to make another attempt at the make from scratch soup. What can I say? I just can't give up so easily. At the supermarket, there was a food promoter selling 3 kinds of pumpkin. One of the pumpkins I've never seen before.

It's pale and ordinarily I would not give it any attention. But the promoter had cooked some of it and she gave me a teaspoon worth to try. It was not bad. She told me that the pumpkin I had tried can be eaten like spaghetti! I was intrigued and immediately bought half a spaghetti pumpkin. And I also abandoned my plans to make the from scratch pumpkin soup. <my kids must be grateful> The sale promoter's cooking instructions were pretty simple - steam the pumpkin until soft. Then use a fork to run through to create the strands.

My spaghetti pumpkin tasted rather bland. I guess you need to season it.

I decided to eat the pumpkin with vegetables and chicken, kind of pretend it is spaghetti. It was quite good.

I have half of the pumpkin left. Next time I'll bake it in the oven just to see the difference. And yes, I'll add some seasoning. I'm so excited. This is the first "new to me" food I've tried in a long time. I usually don't try new food because I'm so scared I'll get sick. You know me - Miss Sensitive Stomach. What else should I try next?

3 comments:

Kate said...

Here, we call that spaghetti squash. You can make most any pasta or noodle dish with it, because it is very bland. Enjoy.

Ely said...

Cauliflower!

These days you can find recipes to make it into flatbread or even pizza crust. And even “rice!”

Projects By Jane said...

Hi Ely, I ate a lot of cauliflower when I was young because my mother cooked it every week. I don't know why. Maybe it was cheap. When I cook for my family, I rarely cook cauliflower. It's a forgotten vege. My kids prefer broccoli. I boil it in water and serve it plain. Poor kids! I don't eat broccoli because my stomach is sensitive to it. I'll try some cauliflower soon to see how my stomach reacts to it. I don't think I have the ability to trick my brain into eating cauliflower rice tho'. It's got to be eaten as a vege.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2