Monday, December 3, 2018

Placemat From An Abandoned Block


I haven't been very successful in reducing the amount of scrap fabric in my storeroom, sewing room, living room, basically in many parts of my home. But I keep trying! I don't remember when I made this block of fabric but I found it in one of my (many) fabric storage bags. Once upon a time, I had the ambition of learning to make pieced blocks. You know the kind where the points must meet and everything must be accurate. But I lost interest very quickly because you know what? I really hate that kind of piecing. Anyone else hate this kind of piecing? No? Just me? This block I found must be from that short period of my "piecing history".

By the way, anyone remember the fabric print? It's Alexander Henry's Apples fabric print. Of course it's out of print now. I know I had the pears fabric print as well but I liked this apples print more.

In the past, I would not make something that would get dirty easily. So no coasters, placements, table runners or aprons! Yes, I pretend that bags never get dirty. But you know what I mean. Having made 2 coasters for my kids this year and seeing them used successfully has made me change my mindset. I'm quite excited to make more coasters and placemats for my kids.

This piece of block is around 13" so it's suitable as a placemat.  I'm just a little sad I only have one such block. Because you know, I have 2 kids. Whatever one gets, the other one must get otherwise there's jealousy. So yes, this single placemat goes to my daughter...

I added a piece of Daiso batting and found some scrap fabric for the backing. Then it's straight quilting lines because I'm one of those people who don't really care for fancy quilting lines. Or maybe I don't know how! So straight lines, it is. I did use my precious grey Aurifil thread... Let me tell you something. Grey thread goes with everything. EVERYTHING.

The edges were finished with a 2.25" wide binding. I followed this tute in case you need some instructions.

please ignore the half eaten french toast
I'm rather pleased with the result and I already know the placemat will survive in the washing machine because I've washed the coasters (made in the same manner) many times and nothing has come undone. Yet.

One UFO completed. Woo hoo!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Wow, quilting. It looks quite nice. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy it.

Jane McLellan said...

I’m with you on piecing, I’m just not accurate enough. Good job, turning something in the scrap basket into a placemat.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2