Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Year Of The Rabbit Is Here

The Year Of The Rabbit begins today. Celebration of the Chinese New Year actually begins on the eve. That's when the reunion dinner takes place. For my family, we go to my MIL for the special dinner.
The special feature of this dinner is lo hei. It consists of a salad dish - my MIL is quite creative with salad. This year she makes it fruity and I think there's abalone as well. If you've never witnessed a lo hei session, it's quite a sight. Everyone uses chopsticks to toss the salad in the air while yelling out their wishes for the year.

It is a tradition to visit your close relatives on the first two days of Chinese New Year. Today alone, we went to three homes.
Oh, did I mention the Cosmo bag would be my Chinese New Year bag? See, it matched my outfit. I think I've mentioned before how important it is to wear some red for auspicious days? This year I went black-and-white! Just to be safe, I telephoned me mom and told her about my colour choice for my outfit. She said, no problem! My mom is so cool.

I thought it would be interesting to show you some handmade or traditional items found in the homes I visited.
This doily-embroidery cover for the piano is from my MIL's home.
It looks like hand crochet and hand embroidery.
At the first home we visited today, I couldn't find any handmade items. I'm serious. But it's a very traditional looking home and in the image above, you are looking at traditional goodies. The strange looking orange cupcake is a steamed cake which is traditionally offered during prayers. It does not taste good. Just very sweet and coarse. See the splitting of the dough at the top? It signifies prosperity bursting forth.
At my mom's home the only handmade items were the bags made by me! Here you see me mom with her great grandson. All week Singapore had been raining persistently, sometimes just a drizzle, sometimes heavily. Me mom actually telephoned me to say it's ol' black turtle pissing down on Singapore from the sky. She's 80ish. I think when you grow as old as 80ish, you earn the right to say things like "ol' black turtle is pissing down from the sky" whenever it rains.
I had more luck in the last home I visited. It's like time stood still here. How long have these Chinese New Year decorations been hanging on the wall? This home belongs to my aunt-in-law. She's into handmade stuff so it's no surprise.
Check out the doily.
These are crochet - like granny squares?
Another crochet creation - this time a cushion cover. And that's all I could unearth.
Lastly, I wish everyone good health and good fortune in the Year Of The Rabbit. See you.

13 comments:

Bethany said...

Happy New Year to you!
And that embroidered/crocheted doily is quite lovely!

Princess T said...

Happy New Year Jane!

Your mom sounds like a hoot! I love the idea that the older you get, the more acceptable it is to say outrageous things!

Kandi said...

Happy New Year Jane and lots of health wealth and prosperity for the year of the Rabbit!
I love thos pics from your families homes, especially love the piano cover and the beautiful pictures.
Kandi x
p.s. your bag looks fab with your outfit.

Speckled Hen said...

Happy New Year! Your new bag looks lovely..So do you and your hubby!! You both look so happy together!!!

Chris H said...

Happy New Year... and I see you did wear a red necklace...not tempting fate? lol

Sherry said...

Happy New Year to you and your family Jane. Lovely photos and you did make me laugh about your dear Mum's turn of phrase!

Sherry said...

ooops, I forgot to say thanks for entering my OWOH giveaway, you're in the draw - good luck!

Lori Bergmann said...

Hi, Jane! *Ü*
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today and entering my giveaway. Isn't this OWOH tour so much fun?! I am half Chinese and loved reading all about your Chinese New Year celebrations. I hope your year is filled with prosperity, peace and joy!

Lori of Ashlyn Design (OWOH #347)
www.loribergmann.blogspot.com

Heather said...

Happy New Year! Thankk you for taking us on this little journey! I love all the information you shared!! Thank you!
XOXO~Heather

PS: Love your bag!

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Pleasanton, California
thank you for visiting me

http://favoritethings.typepad.com/delightful_whimsy/2011/01/one-world-one-giveaway-2011.html


I love your blog post about New Year, My father was born in Shanghai China (EurAsian) and I am born in San Francisco,.. My mother is Dutch-English American, needless to say I do not look Asian, although my son does. My daughters do not. I am Chinese by DNA and culture and I miss this time of year, My Grandmother use to have a big dinner and much love... thank you thank you for sharing, it warmed my heart today with many memories.
I am a Rabbit!! and so is my husaband. ♥


Blessings ♥ tere
emailwhimsy@yahoo.com


(\__/)
(>’.’<)
(")_(")
"Kung Hei Fat Choi!"
祝┏┯┓┏┯┓┏┯┓┏┯┓ ♥♥(\ /)♥♥
福┠鴻┠┨兔┠┨大┠┨展┨ *ღ( . .)ღ*
你┗┷┛┗┷┛┗┷┛┗┷┛ CC(”)(”)))
Happy Chinese New Year!

Chris Hansen said...

Hi Jane and Happy New Year! Thank you for stopping by my blog and introducing yourself - I am so happy you did! Your blog is delightful and your bags are amazing (I am sewing-impaired, LOL).

xoxo, chris
intuitivesparks.blogspot.com
OWOH #704

Morph Waffle said...

Happy New Year. Your bags are beautiful!

Design Elements said...

Happy New Year Jane! best wishes

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2