Tuesday, January 22, 2013
I found my beading supplies from when I learnt beadweaving. They were abandoned in one of the drawers.
Very foolishly, I jumped in and started a new spiral necklace. I have not bothered to improve my knowledge of beadweaving techniques. That is why a spiral necklace is all I know. Amazingly I still know all the moves. I hope this won't become a UFO because I'm still in the middle of spring cleaning. This is quite a conservative necklace. I could add interesting beads on the outside but I wasn't sure how many beads I needed so I decided to play safe. The worst thing about beading is that you run out of beads and of course you will never be able to find the exact same size and colour and manufacturer.
For this new necklace, I used a Fireline thread which is very strong and impossible to thread through regular beading needles. I had used Fireline thread once before and I ended up breaking all my beading needles because the eye of the needle was too small. So that was a complete waste of money. I went to get big eye needles and was really annoyed when I opened the package at home. Apparently, the manufacturer had made a mistake. The needles had no eyes. I threw the needles away. The next time I was at a beading shop, a different one this time, I checked out the big eye needles again. I was puzzled that the needles had no eyes as well. I decided to ask the shop assistant and she told me I had to use a needle to open the eye!
It seems this kind of needle is different from the conventional needle. Both ends are pointed and the eyes are in between. So amazing. I wish I hadn't thrown the "defective" needles away. What a clever invention. But of course this needle wouldn't work on fabric. Now back to my cleaning!