Saturday, August 29, 2009

It's All About Will Power


My Last Bell Bottomed Bag?

I've seriously grown tired of making my bell bottomed bags. Just for variety, I wanted to make this one longer but I didn't have enough fabric. I've used most of my multi coloured fabric and there's only enough leftover for maybe one or two small pouches. Once again, I used continuous zippers. You simply can't go wrong.


Just look at the fat bottom. I added a pleat in the side gusset and it created a nice little dimple. Have I gone pleat crazy?

When I sell at the Red Dot Design Museum, I'm often asked if I have any plain solid colours bags stashed away. I can honestly say I can't make a plain solid colour bag to save my life. I'm a print, embroidery, quilting, multi colour fabric kind of girl. But I wanted to give it a go.


This is as plain solid as I can go. For now. As it is my first effort, I had to use a Japanese bamboo leaves print on the handle and inside band and pocket. Otherwise the plain solid beige would hurt my eyes.


I'm so sexy.

For this pleated tote, I went back to my lazy style of bag making. I start with a rectangular fabric and cut it down to size. If I had cut out a template on mahjong paper first, I would have saved a lot of time. Why don't I listen to myself?


See the curves on the tote? I discovered this round paper container cover makes a nice curve.


This is my current flexible curve. I love it. It's one of my most valuable tool. Previously I had an arthritic flexible curve which I bought from Daiso, a $2 shop. One day, I had to draw a rather challenging curve and the $2 ruler failed me. I shelled out serious cash for a better curve from Art Friend. I'm a "friend" so ther's a discount. I love being friends with retailers.

These bags will be available for sale at my "table" at the Red Dot Design Museum's MAAD from 5th to 6th Sept, 11am to 7pm. Admission is free.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2