Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Reborn

Dear friends,

I'm reborn. Today I woke up really early even though school holidays has started and I could lie in bed all day if I want. When my eyes opened this morning, I felt an immense relief. I had no headaches! No headaches! I was so filled with joy I jumped out of bed and immediately started cleaning my sewing area. I don't understand it either. But I felt compelled to do some cleaning.

Although I'm horribly embarrassed by my messy sewing area, I decided I'll let you guys have a look. 


By the way, this image is the "after cleaning" look! I wiped off the lint, dust and put everything back. If I were to put everything away, I would spend hours and hours hunting for this and that. Since this is a sewing week, it's best to leave everything messy. That way I can find what I need easily. I know many people are like me. We work well in chaos.


Here's a close-up of the chaos.

I bought the Ikea table 13 years ago and it's still standing. I have bought a lot of crappy Ikea furniture but this table is like a freak purchase. The chair I bought as it's good for doing one of my back exercises but it's already broken and I bought it a few years ago.


Speaking of purchases, on Sunday while at VivoCity, I walked past a book sale and bought this book, The Myth & Magic of Embroidery by Helen M. Stevens for a grand total of $2.90. That's US$2.30 or 1.7 Euro or 1.4 pound.
This book costs less than 1 plate of chicken rice ($3). I can't believe my good fortune.

The embroidery style of Helen M. Stevens is totally out of my league but I really enjoy looking at the images. My dream is to own many, many embroidery books. Don't tell hubs.

Here are a few of my favourite pages from the book.






A lot of satin and long and short stitches.


Today I completed a grand total of 1 zip pouch. I discovered the houses embroidery I had done a while ago and totally forgotten about. Compared to Helen M. Stevens' embroidery, mine looks a little childish! Thing is I'm very fond of outline embroidery. They're more me. 3 more sewing days to go before my VivoCity craft market and I have only 1 zip pouch to show. Shame on me. 

5 comments:

Linda said...

So glad you're feeling better!
If you call that chaotic, I will never show you my sewing room! Mine is REALLY chaotic! I go in to clean and get sidetracked.....every time!

Suzee said...

The book looks great.. very detailed stitching there..
I gave up keeping my sewing room cleaned.. sometimes it gets tidied, but.. then I look at the floor and threads and scraps of fabric laying all over. So I tend not to look down much unless I drop a pin.. then I get scared...

punkychewster said...

Hahahaha i caught a glimpse of the A&F model picture there! At least you have a craft room to mess up. Because my room doubles up as a dining area, I feel compelled to pack it up every night (although that's not such a bad thing)...

Dee said...

Glad you are felling better. Feeling yuck is awful. I was so off and in heaps of pain last week that I did nothing for the entire week. This week is much better. I can relate to the feeling of being reborn.
That embroidery books is lovely. that kind of work looks great but takes forever to do. You simple style also looks great and is way more accessible. Yours has a wider appeal too. It is only those of us who appreciate what goes into the work who really appreciate the elaborate embroidery. ... I laughed at the don't tell hubs about the desire to collect great embroidery books. I am sooooo with you on that one.

Little Blue Mouse said...

Wow, the embroidery in the book looks really elaborate; it must take ages to complete!

Glad you're feeling better.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2