Thursday, April 26, 2012

Easy Clutch


I've been asked many times if I have a ePattern for someone who has never made a bag before. It seems to me there is a demand for such a pattern because I get asked this question a lot. So I finally buckled down and produced my first ePattern for a beginner. Originally I wanted to use the word "virgin" instead of beginner but I can imagine all the misunderstanding that could arise. So I stuck to a safe and easily understood word.

I used a very simple easy shape - what can be more common than an envelope?  Incidentally envelope clutches have been around for a very long time. I have seen pictures of very ancient ones. They're usually heavy on beads and embroidery.

It never occurred to me that writing the instructions for a very easy clutch for someone new to making bags could be hard. I actually thought it would be a breeze. It turned out to be the hardest ePattern to do. I fretted over every single instruction. I worried the beginner wouldn't understand. I tried to think like a beginner.

I made over 10 samples. I shot and re-shot the photos. The original fabric I used was blue. Then I ran out of the blue fabric. So I had to re-shoot all the photos. Because now the clutch is puce. (it's a real word)

After all the fussing and editing, I finally decided it was perfect. Oh, I had great help too from Suzee who not only helped me test but gave great suggestions too. Suzee owns Applehead Threads on Etsy. Please give her some love. ♥

I have been very lucky in my choice of testers. They always deliver!


Right now this ePattern is available on Etsy. Here.

2 comments:

Suzee said...

Thank you Jane for giving me the chance to test your pattern ! This pattern was easy to do plus you learn some basic techniques as well!

Dee said...

congrats on getting the pattern completed and published.
When I was teaching embroidery and craft I experienced the challenge of breaking down and putting into writing the instructions in a step-by-step form. It is harder to actually break tasks down into that format than one may realise ... until attempting it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails